Monday, June 20, 2011

Postcard From Seattle: Bainbridge Ferry

Everyone keeps insisting on how lucky I have been with the weather in Seattle so far. I took the Bainbridge Ferry from Pier 52 to Bainbridge Island on Wednesday, because the sky was particularly clear.



I really hate tourist traps. Meandering around an area clearly designed specifically for people who have no idea what is going on or what to do freaks me out. It is a fake sense of traveling. It is a fake reality. In my own little world of traveling and having to orient myself in new places amongst new streets and people, tourist trap sorts of places are meant for people who have no inclination to travel. Seriously, tourists, what are you doing inside a shop full of t-shirts and snowglobes that say Seattle in the most heinous typography imaginable? Have you yet asked yourself why? Have you realized where you are? SO Bainbridge Island, the island itself, was a bummer for me. As was the area surrounding the ferry stop. The ferry ride itself was pleasant and it was nice to sit down or wander around the ship for the 35 minute trip.







This video is just of the boat ride. I felt like the photos were not coming out the way I wanted them to. Everything seemed so far away in the photos and in this situation, video may have been better. Who knows. Who cares.

Sidenote... I have been having random connections to people in Seattle during my entire trip so far. One of my favorite moments was seeing this guy decked out in a Derrik Rose jersey. (Go Bulls!)

No comments: