Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Designer Vinyl Toys: America

This post is the second to my previous post, and may not make sense out of context.

As with all evolutions of creativity, the form and concepts are distinct to their creator. Brightly colored conceptual monsters can trigger other forms of inspiration, and the cultural differences from Japan to America have allowed for fluid interpretations. Well known toy makers and distributors in America include Kid Robot, Super7, Double Punch in San Fransisco, and Rotofugi in Chicago.

With Bwana Spoons at Double Punch
I was really lucky during my first trip to San Fransisco, Bwana Spoons was painting a mural on the wall. He signed a photo book I bought of his Edward the Gator vinyl toy. He was kind and not at all upset by my interruption. Bwana Spoons a really good example of a vinyl toy artist in America. The whole subculture of vinyl toys is still very much immersed in Japan. Everyone knows about Kaiju. Bwana Spoons is a painter and designer and has made really good connections and choices. When I lived in Japan I was excited to see that Bwana Spoons was a staple at Gargamel, often designing toys with Gargamel's designers. I am so happy a bit of the mural is shown in the background, because that image is exactly his style. He uses bright, fun colors, and has a distinct California feel.

There are noticeable differences between Japanese and American vinyl toy aesthetic. Japanese toys tend to draw from their roots of 60s and 70s Kaiju characters. American toys are more rounded, probably inspired by graffiti and underground urban culture. People in America who design toys also design shoes and have painting exhibitions and create graphic novels. Japanese toys are considerably more grotesque and alien. American toys, inexplicably, are cuter, maybe more marketable...? I like both styles. I find it difficult to describe, but I hope I am not far off base in my generalization.

Kaws's Bounty Hunter: Rotofugi, USA

Hedora: Secret Base, Japan

No comments: