Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rotofugi: Dalek and Steve Seeley

So, I went to Rotofugi the other day for their new store opening/ art exhibit. One of my favorite artists, James Marshall, aka DALEK, was showing some new artworks, so it was important for me to visit. Going to art openings with artists that I like is a big part of my love of cities and I am determined to be at these sorts of things in Chicago.

Dalek is known for a character he created called a Space Monkey. He draws and paints it in different styles and mediums, but it's always very recognizable and fun. To me, and to most, it looks like a contorted mouse. I love the Space Monkey because it is born out of a mix of American street graffiti and Japanese pop art.

Space Monkey Painting
Space Monkey Toy
He also does geometric abstract paintings, which he was displaying at Rotofugi the night I was there. These paintings from a far are free and bright and representative of similar pop and graffiti styles of art. Up close, they show a more meticulous form that details Dalek's care and attention. I think he goes by James Marshall now, having almost completely stopped using the Space Monkey in his current artwork.



The other artist showing his work at Rotofugi was Steve Seeley. Steve Seeley paints super heroes and D-list celebrities on paper that has images of nature printed on the surface. A theme in his works the night I visited was depicting the superhero capes and clothing as bandanas, adding an urban edge to a stereotypically nerdy genre. He depicted Batman and Superman as Tupac and Biggie. He posed Paris Hilton with morphed rottweiler legs. He put Miley Cyrus inside of a bear. He morphed deer horns into Victorian chandeliers. I really loved his works.

Batman riding a bear, then surfing a deer.
The bandanna clothes.

All of these images and others that I talked about can be seen larger, in more detail, and in context of the full exhibit at Rotofugi's website through the links that I posted. Another interesting bit is that both of these artists are connected to Chicago. Dalek studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, and Steve Seeley grew up here. 面白い、ね?

No comments: