Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Great Wall of China Part 2: Explanation


25 August 2012, Beijing, China---

            When we went to the Forbidden City last Sunday, there was a throng of people passing out flyers for tours to other parts of Beijing. I have always been one to turn down flyers and not pay attention to who ever is busking the streets, and made no exception once I came to China. My friends however, took a flyer with interest. A couple days later we were talking about the Great Wall and my friend called the number. We would be picked up at 7am on Saturday morning for a trip to see The Great Wall at Ba Da Ling, the Ming Tombs, and the Olympic Stadium. Lunch would be included. 


            At 6am on Saturday morning my phone starts ringing. “Hello, my friend, we can pick you up earlier if you take a train and we can beat the traffic. The traffic is very bad because everyone has the day off. Or we can pick you up from your hotel later. Which is better?”

            “We’re not at a hotel, we’re at an apartment. You can pick us up from here.”

            I give her the address and the name of the subway station we live right next to for the third time, and she says she’s knows where it is and will be here around 8. I still don’t know how she and the driver managed to find the train station just north of us, but not ours. We have to take the subway just one stop north to where a van where three other tourists are waiting. They are from Russia we find out later, and I can’t be sure about how long they have been waiting for us, but they look genuinely annoyed. We have nearly a two-hour ride to the Great Wall.

            Along the way Annie, the name of our guide, tells us the itinerary for the day. She asks us if we know what we will see and we tell her. She explains that the Ba Da Ling station of the Great Wall is broken, so we will go to the Mu Tian Lu station where we have to take a ropeway up and a toboggan slide down. “We are lucky, though,“ she explains, “because usually this is 400kuai, but today we are only paying the normal 100kuai rate. But the ropeway and toboggan aren’t included so when we get there we have to buy the ticket for 80kuai. Also,” she goes on, “the Ming Tombs are so boring, so we aren’t going to do that either. Instead we will go to a Cloisonné factory and a silk factory. Later we will stop for tea. This is free so don’t worry". 

            Sleepy, confused, and not sure what else to say, we consent and continue to the Great Wall. Annie is young, only 23. Her sister is a tour guide also. During the ride up to the Great Wall, she explains that her job is difficult because she has to coordinate with her boss and won’t know her schedule until 11 at night. She has a lot of energy, though, and her English is decent. She claims to only have studied for one month, but she communicates well and has a lot of practice on these tours. 

            On the way, we stop by a Cloisonné factory. Cloisonné is a beautiful art form and the factory was interesting. The factory guide explained the process of shaping copper, soldering it together, adding copper detailing, and then filling the copper details with colored enamel. The process is tedious and takes a long time. There were some really beautiful things for sale that were made at the factory, but no one was interested in buying anything. This was our first stop and I didn’t think twice about not buying anything. One of the people we were with did tours in Turkey for a summer and explained that he would take tourists places in hopes they would buy things and then he, the guide, would get a commission. We figured this is what Annie was doing to, and accepted it as a part of the trip.


            The Great Wall is amazing. We walk through a throng of people selling knick-knacks up to the ticket booths. We pay, and make it to the ropeway. I am always so afraid on ropeways. I manage to not look up at the tiny piece of metal attached to the tiny section of rope. I maneuver my camera is such a way so that I don’t have to turn my head, but can just snap photos around me so I can look at the amazing view later. I am concentrating only on what is ahead of me. I don’t want to contemplate death and life on my 7th day in Beijing.  The Great Wall is a series of inclines and declines on both terrifyingly steep and unnecessarily wide stairs. I think I thought the wall would be more like a big stone bridge, but it’s definitely more of a hike.  We had to walk hike up at down the stairs for about thirty minutes to get to a high point and we could see the Wall dragon-tailing through the mountains. This particular station of the wall was quite touristy. Large groups of people were following their leaders with colorful flags at the helm. The toboggan ride down the mountain was fun. We sat on these individual chairs with a brake in the middle, and we could push forward to release and pull it to break the toboggan. We were stuck behind some cautious people pulling hard on the brake the whole time, but during moments of large gaps, I could push the release down and speed down the toboggan slide. The Great Wall was the absolute highlight of the day.


            The both the Russian tourists and some of the people I was with were really interested in buying some of the cheap souvenirs at the stalls around the Great Wall. T-shirts, hats, knick-knacks, everything was there. Annie was visibly frustrated by the slow pace everyone had while going from the wall down to the van. She told me that everything here was cheap and not very good. Not to waste our money. While this appeared as a way to look out for us in the beginning actually was a sign of what was to come later on in the day.


            Lunch was after the Great Wall. Along the way we got a good 45-minute nap during some seriously backed up traffic. We arrived at a small restaurant with bowls of rice, hot tea, sautéed cucumbers, potatoes with a lot of good sauce, cashew chicken, and a tomato with egg dish. Simple food, it was all good, and everyone felt great afterwards. 

            Next stop was the silk factory. As interesting as it was to see how silk is produced and what can be made from it, the experience was boring. I live here in Beijing and the last thing I want to buy is silk. I’m not a decadent person and I don’t want to buy silly souvenirs. Our group strolled through the aisles of bedding and pajamas, finally making eye contact with Annie to say we were ready to leave. She said we had to stay for twenty more minutes and to just sit down somewhere. Sit down somewhere in the silk store. This was clearly a part of her commission.  We had to stay at the silk factory for a certain amount of time in order for her to be compensated. We saw a few other groups of people just sitting around waiting to leave as well. It wasn’t horrible, but by this time we were feeling weary and ready to see the Olympic Stadium.


            We thought we were off to the Olympic Stadium, but we made a sharp right turn and Annie said, “Next we will have tea. We can leave when you want this time. “ Not that excited about another store, but drinking tea didn’t sound horrible, so we sat back and silently went along with the ride.  We made it to Dr. Tea, a government owned teashop near the Olympic Village. The entry way had photos of Queen Elizabeth with the Country Leader, not Mao, but someone else from the 80’s. The other photo was of President Lu with Vladimir Putin from 1997. Annie told us that this was a place where a lot of famous people are brought to drink tea. As the Cloisonné and silk factories were before, each place has been interesting up to a certain point. We learn about the product, why the product is interesting or important, and then we are told of all of the deals they are having right now and would we like to purchase these amazing packages of products. We would not. 

            When we got to Dr. Tea, Annie seemed very friendly with the girl giving us the explanation of the teas. When it was time to buy some products, we were at our wit’s end and just absolutely did not want to buy anything. We were looking around saying no thank you to every sales person that came up to us. The girl who told us about the tea was growing more and more frustrated with our unwillingness to buy. Soon Annie came up to us nearly shouting, “This is a SHOPPING TOUR! You all need to buy something. Even if you go in on one thing together and split it, it’s fine.” Her friend started saying that no, no, it was okay, but the mood was broken. Annie broke the façade of the trip. 

We thought we were tourist our to go sightseeing and that 100 kuai was a good deal for us and that we would let Annie make her visitors commission from the stores and go along with everything. People I have spoken to who live in China for a year or more have explained that there are many layers to China, and slowly the peels will begin to fall off. Annie’s breakdown was my first example of outrage with the Chinese façade and layers pulling back. We should have known that things were too good to be true, and we felt guilty for not buying anything, but we also felt like we didn’t want to be bullied into buying things we don’t need. I am not fully comfortable in China yet, but I am aware of my position in South East Asia as a white lady wandering around. People think I am rich. I am so, so not. I have serious student loan debt. I live paycheck to paycheck and spent all of my savings to move to China. My savings totaled $5,000 and I doubt I have half left at this point, only one week in to life here. Crazy apartment fees, deposits, etc., I am bleeding money. I came to China a week before my job starts in order to get comfortable and organized, and while it has really just been the most stressful week of my life, I was looking forward to a sightseeing trip to relax and not have to think. To pay 180 kuai for the day was fine and great, but to feel guilty for not buying things from the government arranged factory trips, was stressful. 


            I thought surely she would get the gist that we were fed up with the factory tours and finally take us to the Olympic Stadium. Ai Weiwei is one of my favorite artists and his bird’s nest design for the stadium is so magnificent—I had been looking forward to the visit all day. Annie was unfazed and our next stop was a pearl factory. Our Russian tourist friends were fed up. They said they had already seen the Olympic Stadium, and had no interest in pearls. They would leave. We agreed and pleaded to Annie that we weren’t going to buy any pearls anyway. More infuriated than ever, Annie told us to get in the van, she went to the front seat, and two minutes later were could see the Stadium. The Russians wanted to go back to their hotel so Annie dropped us all off near the Subway station. She pointed to the left for us to go to the Stadium, pointed to the right to the subway, said a curt goodbye and they were off. 




            I am trying to figure out if I would recommend the trip or not. I know that the price for the Great Wall stuff was a good deal. I am a big fan of not spending a lot of money right now, so I am debating my feelings about being upset. I can’t decide. Should I be grateful that I got a cheap sightseeing “tour”? But, basically I was duped, right? The tour said specific things, I had certain expectations of the day, and I was willing to make some concessions for the sake of Annie. The scene she made at the end of the day upset me. Cloisonné, silk, tea, pearls, and the only thing on the advertised tour we actually go was the Great Wall and lunch. Two out of four (Great Wall, Lunch, Ming Tombs, Olympic Stadium).

But look at how great we all look up there! Adventurers!
       

No comments: