Sunday, September 2, 2012

Beijing Air: Yesterday and Today

Yesterday
The first thing I noticed about Beijing was the smog. The smog is thick, heavy, and all consuming. I live on the 28th floor of an apartment building in Beijing and most days the smog is too thick to really enjoy a view. When I arrived the gray misty smog lasted for three days straight. The sky is one color here.

Unlike the gorgeous steel mill sunsets of Chicago and Northwest Indiana, the smog is so intense that it's impossible to mistake it for anything other than what it is: serious pollution. The air quality is a hot topic in Beijing, and most parents will keep their kids inside on a day with a particularly high air index. Unfortunately, most days are terrible, so there is no use battling the inevitable. I would rather be out in the bad air than home doing nothing.

I want to keep track of what the skies are like here in Beijing. Chicago was such a beautiful city and I fell in love with the sunsets and blue skies of the summertime. I want to document the Beijing skyline from my 28th floor apartment, in hopes to truly enjoy the days where I can see a glimpse of my favorite shade of blue. This post has photos of yesterday, a particularly terrible day for air and smog, and photos from today, a day with beautiful blue skies, a far reaching view from my window of mountains surrounding the city, and a pink cloud sunset.

Yesterday

Yesterday
Today

Today

Today

Today

Today
Today

No comments: